Welcome to Runaway Music's first volume of Runaway Rewind — a chance for us get to dig deep in our archives for songs of the past and curate #ThrowbackThursday-worthy playlists of tracks that every music fan should know.
So sit back, kick your feet up, and let us dust off some oldies (but goodies) for you!
Before it was thrust into the mainstream, the term "indie rock" literally meant just that — independent rock. Many of these bands started off making rock music without the backing of a major record label, allowing them to push the envelope sonically and expanding the horizons of rock music without the pressure to sell albums. However, in today's music world, nearly every non-pop or hip-hop act that even somewhat eschews the sound of Top 40 is slapped with the label of "indie" — even if they're signed to today's biggest megalabels.
Talk to your Jimmy Eat Worlds, your Arcade Fires, your Modest Mouses (Modest Mice?), your Death Cab(s) for Cutie (fine, I'll stop) of the world and there's no doubt you'll find bands from the list above in their list of influences. Each artist only has one song on the playlist (with the only exception being Stephen Malkmus' solo work and Pavement landing songs on the list), and spans several decades of bands and songwriters whose music helped shape the sound of modern rock music. Enjoy!
Listen and follow on Spotify!
01. "Feel the Pain" by Dinosaur Jr. (2007)
02. "Heavy metal drummer" by Wilco (2002)
03. "A.M. 180" by Grandaddy (1997)
04. "Sparky's Dream" by Teenage Fanclub (1995)
05. "Carry the Zero" by Built To Spill (1999)
06. "Jenny & the Ess-Dog" by Stephen Malkmus (2001)
07. "History Lesson Part 2" by Minutemen (1984)
08. "Hey, Where's Your Girl" by Lambchop (1997)
09. "Let's Go" by the Feelies (1986)
10. "Stereo" by Pavement (1997)
11. "The Ice of Boston" by Dismemberment Plan (1997)
12. "Piano Fire" by Sparklehorse (2001)
13. "Skull" by Sebadoh (1994)
14. "Game of Pricks" by Guided by Voices (2003)
15. "Teen Age Riot" by Sonic Youth (1988)
16. "Thirteen" by Big Star (1972)
17. "Lay It Down Slow" by Spiritualized (2003)
RUNAWAY REWIND: INDIE ROCK THROWBACKS